Sunday, September 20, 2009

GORE-TEX or not?

Living in the desert and doing the vast majority of my hiking in the southwestern United States I decided to save a couple dollars on my last pair of boots and forego the GORE-TEX. I bought the Merrell Moab Ventilator and have been completely satisfied. Trekking in the desert usual means water is not a concern on the trail, until my most recent hike. My daughter and her fiance were in town from Virginia and before were drove up to the North Rim Dustin needed to pick up new hiking boots. He bought the Merrell Moab GORE-TEX as I had mentioned how much I loved my Moabs. Heading down the North Kaibab Trail all was well. When we arrived at Roaring Springs the water beckoned and as we hiked around the lower falls both of us got our boots wet but only mine soaked through to the socks. During lunch I let my boots and socks dry in the sun but they were still damp when I headed back up the trail. About a mile later I felt a blister welling under my big toe but immediately removed the boot and wrapped said toe in duct tape averting the aforementioned blister. Back at the trail head my boots were lightly caked in red dirt while Dustin's merely had a dusting. Remarkable difference. Same boot major difference made by GORE-TEX. Next pair of boots I buy will definitely be the waterproof model.

No comments:

Post a Comment