Monday, August 2, 2010

To Facebook or Not to FB

I have been luke warm lately about facebook until this morning.  For years and years and years I have sought to maintain a very low profile on my birthday.  It's not like I'm embarrassed about my age or any other type of hangup, I just have never understood making a big deal of another day passing us by.  This morning I got up at 5:00 as usual to head to the gym.  When I pulled my phone off of the charger it began buzzing like crazy and the bulk of the messages were facebook notifications of folks around the country wishing me a happy birthday.  Well, I must admit, that put a smile on the birthday scrooge's face.  So I went and did my standard m-f workout at Gold's (which is literally right across the street from my office building) and had a better than average workout.  Then later on I thought I'd finally do something to celebrate after all and decided to ride my age in mileage every year on the big day.  So after work I went home and peddaled 47 miles.  Fortunately we have had a cool spell in Phoenix lately and it was only 105 degrees for the 2.5 hour party.  When I got back home Christine had a nicely wrapped gift for me on the table.  She had gone across town and picked up the exact pair of new running shoes I had been wanting.  The Vibram Five Finger KSO Trek is a fairly new piece of footware that allows you to mimic running barefoot but with a Vibram sole protecting your soles from punctures.


I also had a package from Germana and John with a hilarious book titled Sh*t My Dad Says and a couple nice shirts.  Thanks Christine, Germana and John.  After being disenchanted with facebook lately it was actually the vehicle that started turning a ho hum day into a great birthday.  Thanks to everyone for taking time out of your busy schedules to think about me!

No comments:

Post a Comment