Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Lunch in the Chile Capital



Driving south from Albuquerque, New Mexico to El Paso, Texas on I-25 this morning I couldn't pass by Hatch, NM without stopping for a fiery lunch in the chili capital of the world.  The town is very small in population but enormous on the flavor scale.  The sign in front of the Pepper Pot drew me in and I didn't regret it.


Pork in red chili with frijoles and rice with chips and good salsa on the side was the perfect lunch in the epicenter of all things spicy.  After the amazingly satisfying red chili lunch I walked across the street to a chili vendor and bought a quart sized bag of XX HOT Red Chili powder and a small sandwich bad of XXXXX Habanero powder.  Now I am looking forward to making my own pork in red chili this weekend when I get back to Phoenix.  Hatch is a great place to vist for those of us that love spicy food.  In fact, the Food Network is there every Labor Day weekend for the Hatch Chili Festival.  Think I might have to check that out sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment