Monday, October 5, 2009

Texas BBQ in New Mexico

I have enjoyed great Bar-B-Que in Memphis, the Carolinas and throughout the U.S. but there is nothing like Texas BBQ (no, I'm not from the Lone Star State either.) Avoiding corporate restaurants at all costs I always prefer family owned restaurants over the chain variety. But sometimes a franchise gets it right and with Rudy's its not just right, it's perfect! This regional chain of BBQ joints is limited to 27 locations in three states (Texas, Oklahoma & New Mexico) with roots that go back to 1889. It's the real deal and Albuquerque is blessed with two Rudy's locations. I have been to this particular eatery a few times in addition to one in El Paso and have never been remotely disappointed. The self serve line is complimented with a relish bar (pickles, onions, jalapenos) and drink station. Picnic tables and concrete floors complete the raw style that Texas is famous for when it comes to great BBQ. The oak wood smoldering in the pit grabs ahold of your nostrils when you open your door in the parking lot. Two hours later my shirt still smells like I was sitting next to a campfire. I've enjoyed jalapeno sausage, brisket and baby backs on previous visits so this time I went with the pulled pork. The half pound serving was enough to make two nice sized sandwiches with the four slices of white bread that came on the side. The pork was very moist and sauce free. I loaded it up with sliced onions and Rudy's spicy sauce and enjoyed every ounce as I washed it down with sweet tea. I always order the green chili stew and this time was no exception. The Land of Enchantment is known for their chilies and combined with smoked meat and potatoes the stew is simply sublime. Not much of a desert person I am always a sucker for good pecan pie. Pricey at $3.99 I indulged myself anyway and oh! what a pie. At first it tastes like a good southern pecan pie. After it settles on your palette a slight hint of chocolate surfaces but does not overwhelm. Whenever your adventure leads you to Albuquerque (or any other Rudy's locale) make it a point to feast on some great Texas Bar-B-Que.

No comments:

Post a Comment